Port Elizabeth is known as South Africa's “Friendly City”, not only because of its vibrant, friendly residents, but also due to its location, making this popular sea port on the Garden Route one of the country's most visitor friendly, entertainment hot-spots.
Port Elizabeth Attractions
Port Elizabeth, Eastern Cape, South AfricaPort Elizabeth is the gateway to the Addo Elephant National Park. Visitors to this city in the Eastern Cape can also take part in exciting water sport activities like scuba diving amongst ship wrecks and coral reefs or enjoy live local and international entertainment acts.
This Eastern Cape hub is blessed with 13 beaches where a huge variety of watersports take place. Port Elizabeth is particularly suited to wind and kite surfing as well as all kinds of boating. For land based fun activities visitors can enjoy a variety of walks in the city at St Georges and Settlers Park, also there is a great promenade along the Summerstand beachfront. Adventure options are varied and plentiful.
Port Elizabeth has an interesting mix of architectural styles both old and new and has the most Art-Deco buildings in the country. Interesting historic sites include the City Hall and Public Library, No 7 Castle Hill Museum, Campanile Clock, Fort Frederick and Donkin Reserve. Township and cultural tours are a must for enjoying the vibrant diversity of Port Elizabeth. For something different, Central Hill is one of the most haunted places in the city and the setting for thrilling ghost tours and evening walks.For entertainment and shopping opportunities, Port Elizabeth has a number of venues, The Boardwalk Casino and Entertainment World in Summerstrand has a peaceful lake and garden setting. Visitors to this city in the Eastern Cape of South Africa will find a vast array of things to do and eat.
At Bay World there is the Port Elizabeth Museum, Snake Park and Oceanarium - for dolphin shows and underwater observation of various sea creatures. Elsewhere in town are The Bridge and Greenacres Centre on C.J. Langenhoven Drive, which together form a huge complex suitable for all interests and tastes.
The malaria-free Eastern Cape is fast becoming a world class eco-destination with vast tracts of land for game reserves and parks. The Addo Elephant National Park and a number of game reserves near Port Elizabeth offer Big Five game viewing (Elephant, Lion, Buffalo, Rhino and Leopard).
A variety of other activities can be enjoyed such as bush walks and quad biking. Port Elizabeth is perfectly placed for quick and easy access to these areas and Settler Country which has many historic towns and sights.
Port Elizabeth is also the gateway to beautiful Tsitsikamma National Park and the famous Garden Route. Adventure seekers and nature lovers will find the Tsitsikamma to be a fantastic place for a great day out exploring the ancient forest. Activities in this Eastern Cape area include canopy tours, bungee jumping and zip-lining also watersports on the river and along the coast, while abseiling can be enjoyed in the mountainous areas.
Things to see and do in Port Elizabeth, South AfricaAttractions in Port Elizabeth
- Bay World, Oceanarium, Snake Park and Port Elizabeth Museum
- The Boardwalk Casino and Entertainment Centre in Summerstrand
- Greenacres Shopping / Entertainment Centre - C.J. Langenhoven Drive
- Walmer Park Mall in Walmer
- Kings Beach Flea Market on Sundays and public holidays
- Holmeleigh Farmyard and Restaurant, off the Kragga Kamma Road
- The Apple Express Steam Train from Humewood Road Station
- Happy Valley Gardens near Humewood Beach
- Port Elizabeth Observatory for star gazing
- Outdoor swimming pools - Kings Beach and St George's Park
- Sailing, wind surfing, kite-surfing
- Fishing (all kinds)
- Jet-skiing, cruising and canoeing
- Snorkelling and scuba diving
- Horseriding, hiking (many trails)
- Quad biking inland and on the beach, paintball
- Cycling and mountain biking
- Tsitsikamma; Canopy tours, bungi, hikes, adventure watersports, abseiling
- Walks - city, coastal and nature trails
- Historic buildings and sites around the city
- Township and cultural tours
- Variety of architecture from Victorian to Art-Deco
- Theatres and art galleries
- Ghost tours
- Sundays River Valley Route; Addo Elephant Park, Alexandria dunes
- Sunshine Coast Route; Coastal Road to Kenton-on-Sea and Port Alfred
- Frontier Country; Grahamstown, Bathurst and game reserves
- The Karoo; Graaf Reinet and Mountain Zebra Park
- Kouga Route; Jeffrey's Bay (international surfing), St Francis Bay
- Tsitsikamma; Ancient forest and adventure sports
- The Garden Route; South on the N2 highway
- Route 62; Southern Cape Mountains
Make a ReservationBook Port Elizabeth Day Tours
Find Port Elizabeth Hotel options
|Enquiries / Questions|